Gem Diamonds has recovered a 138-carat stone from its Letšeng mine in Lesotho, bringing the company’s total number of 100-carat-plus discoveries this year to a record 12.
The type lla rough diamond has top-white color, the miner said Wednesday. With this find, the company has surpassed the 11 exceptionally large diamonds it unearthed in 2015.
Earlier this year, Gem Diamonds recovered the 910-carat Lesotho Legend, which the company claimed to be the fifth-largest rough stone in history. It sold for $40 million in March.
Gem Diamonds’ recovery of large stones has boosted its financial results. Revenue jumped 43% year on year in the first half of 2018, with a 33% increase in the average price per carat.
The miner owns 70% of the Letšeng asset, with the government of Lesotho holding the remaining 30%.